Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/ls_server/femimonehin.com/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme_261/admin/functions.php on line 229

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ls_server/femimonehin.com/wp-content/themes/StandardTheme_261/admin/functions.php:229) in /home/ls_server/femimonehin.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-greet-box/includes/wp-greet-box.class.php on line 496
40 Things I’ve Learnt In 40 Years – Part 3 | Olufemi Monehin

40 Things I’ve Learnt In 40 Years – Part 3

In Parts 1 & 2 I shared 16 of the 40. Here I will be sharing the next 8.

You can get Part 1 here: 40 Things I’ve Learnt In 40 Years – Part 1

…and Part 2 here: 40 Things I’ve Learnt In 40 Years – Part 2

#17: Since you must think… Think BIG.

I’ve learnt that not many people think for themselves. That’s one thing we are too happy to outsource. However, if you are going to make your life count, you have to think for yourself…and while you’re at it, you can as well think BIG. As you think, so you are. Someone puts it this way: “the only difference between building a $500K dollar business vs. $10M is deciding. It’s that simple.” -@danmartell. You have to think…why not just think BIG.

#18: Thinking Big will get you into trouble.

Thinking BIG will get you into trouble. Guaranteed! But don’t be scared, it’s “good trouble”. You will have to let go of some people you actually like. You may have to sleep less, working more. You will have to endure very hurtful things that will be said about you. Keep moving. Like Joseph in the Bible, they are all still going to try and be your friend. But in the meantime, keep moving forward. Keep dreaming BIG. Keep taking territories.

#19: Some people actually like you!

Yes, some people actually like you. Enduring so much conflict can make you become paranoid if not properly handled. Yes, some people will make themselves into enemies but never forget that some people really do like you…sincerely. Focus on the positive relationships. Invest in them. The negative ones will fade into oblivion. Some people actually like you!

#20: Don’t Be Tempted To Wrestle With A Pig. Don’t Do It!

I see this happen all the time. A honorable person rolling up his/her sleeves and wrestling with a pig. No matter how provoked you are, DON’T DO IT!!! By the time the wrestling is over, only one person would have gotten dirtier…you!

#21: 1 + 1 = 2

It’s as simple as that: 1+1=2. That’s the foundation of discernment. Many times I have looked at 1+1 and have wondered what the outcome would be. Cracking my head, refusing to see the obvious. I have learnt that 1+1=2 …Simple. You’re dating a guy and he pushes you when he’s angry, then you’re still wondering if he will be a wife beater? My sister, 1+1 = 2. You’re dating a lady and she keeps flirting with your friends and you’re still wondering if she’ll be faithful or promiscuous? My brother, 1+1=2…and I can go on and on with examples. It’s straight forward: 1+1=2.

#22: Some people won’t be able to stand your greatness.

That’s the harsh reality. Some people won’t be able to stand your greatness. Some people will be comfortable with being your friend while you’re mediocre. But the moment you move in the direction of being great, they can’t handle it. It’s time to kiss them good-bye. Like someone said: “I have the gift of good-byes” 🙂

#23: Be Loyal

I’ve learnt to be loyal. Loyalty is fast becoming a scarce commodity. It’s really hard to find truly loyal people. I’ve learnt that loyalty is like a seed. The more I plant it the more I reap it. Be loyal and you’ll be amazed at the harvest.

#24: There are no alternatives to prayer

Consistent, concerted & intense prayer is hard. Period. Sweet, but hard. That’s the paradox of prayer. I’ve learnt that there is no alternative to prayer (for the Christian). However, the rewards of consistent, concerted & intense prayer are out of this world!

That’s it for now. 24 down 16 to go.

Do you have any thoughts on what was shared? Please share your thoughts below…

23 Responses to “40 Things I’ve Learnt In 40 Years – Part 3”

1. olusola dada January 30, 2014 at 4:55 pm #

Thanks for sharing your realities, i like the basics of discernment. The prayer virtues and reward, loyalty.

I am attracted to read previous ones,am so transformed just reading all you shared sir.

I celebrate you

2. April January 30, 2014 at 5:25 pm #

wow, wow, wow, amazing stuff, all were fantastic and so, so,so true, however #20 does it for me. don’t wrestle with a pig, you’ll only get dirtier and not the pig(rephrasing,pardon me :D) awesome words Sir. God bless!

• OLUFEMI MONEHIN January 30, 2014 at 11:02 pm #

Thanks April.
      I’ve made that painful mistake in the past. Never again. 🙂

3. Debbie January 30, 2014 at 10:24 pm #

1+1=2 Now that’s just deliverance for me because I have net really trusted my ablity to discern until I read this!
    Very thought provoking! Every point hits home with a thud! You should write more!

• OLUFEMI MONEHIN January 30, 2014 at 10:59 pm #

Thanks Debbie.
      Hmmm…I should write more? I really struggle with writing. Thanks for the encouragement.

4. Catherine January 31, 2014 at 2:59 am #

So insightful! Pastor, thanks for sharing.
    Like April, the one that strikes me the most in this part is:
    “Don’t Be Tempted to Wrestle with a Pig”
    Like the saying goes: “You don’t dare he who has nothing to lose” If you try to, who will be the loser? Certainly not him – he has nothing to lose:)
    I look forward to the remaining part. Thought provoking……Much appreciated.

• OLUFEMI MONEHIN January 31, 2014 at 10:22 pm #

Thanks Catherine.
      I like that… “You don’t dare he who has nothing to lose”.
      Regards

5. busayo akintan January 31, 2014 at 5:47 am #

Thanks for sharing this words sir,@21 and 23 are powerful word for me.I can wait for d rest word sir. It changed my thinking real good.

6. tele January 31, 2014 at 9:15 am #

inspiring papsy,truly there are no alternatives to prayer,the more i pray the better i am becoming,humbling to know that God is intrested in things i sometimes consider inconsequential.

7. Damilola Monehin January 31, 2014 at 10:31 pm #

Don’t wrestle with a pig… I really like this one.

8. Morenike February 3, 2014 at 5:17 pm #

I like “some people actually like you” I have to learn to shift my gaze to what/ who matters the most.
    Thanks for the reminder

9. funto February 6, 2014 at 6:02 am #

Pastor Femi, thanks for sharing! nos 20 and 21 were pretty insightful!

10. temidayo February 20, 2014 at 10:19 pm #

#20 hmmmmm! Very correct!dats my trademark! It rily works! Very inspiring and eye opening writing.tanks pastor.olorun a tun bo ma so agbara dotun!

11. Bionic March 26, 2014 at 11:10 am #

Ah! This became a daily reference for me, right after my “Fire of Freshness” devo! The Holy Spirit will give us the rest. #WaitingHandsAkimbo

12. Iyanu July 13, 2014 at 1:13 am #

Hello pastor…
    New to the page. Meaningful and stiring words….very insightful too. Where are my #s 25-40? You owe me o…(I don’t know about the others). You can’t give me a taste and not allow me eat the remaining. You are highly blessed and favored. Cheers.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks:

1. 40 Things I’ve Learnt In 40 Years – Part 4 | Olufemi Monehin - February 20, 2014

[…] …and Part 2 here: 40 Things I’ve Learnt In 40 Years – Part 3 […]